Monday, October 01, 2007

Another day in Paris





Saturday. A bit hung over once again. I http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gifgot up around 11, cleaned up, left C lying in bed and headed to the nearby cafe to grade papers. I had about 27 one page papers that I had to read, edit and grade. I thought it would be easier than it was. C joined me around 1:30 or so. We had a bit more coffee then headed out. We went off towards Bon Marche. Specifically the food market which was un-fuckin-believeable. Looking at the cheese counter was like looking into the sun. I couldn't do it. I had to walk away. There also had a fucking Veuve Clicquot champagne bar - in a super market! I was ready to move in at this point. I would have slept on the floor between the croissants and the fuckin champagne. We grabbed a few pastries, some juice and water and headed off. We ended up walking around les Invalides (Napoleon's tomb). Sat on a bench and ate our snacks.



We walked up to and past the Eiffel tower and ended up at Paris' newest museums, the Quai Branly. It was one of the worst museums I have ever encountered. Bad, bad, bad. I thought that the Anthro museum in Chicago was bad but this was really, really bad. Poorly designed, ill-lit, and just a pain in the ass to navigate. The only cool thing about it was the outside. The building was fantastic from the outside. The inside? Not so much. It was basically a history of French colonialism. If France never occupied a country there wasn't much in the museum. Nothing from India, China, or Australia. All Africa. And lots of it. Kinda sad really.
Afterwards we walked back towards the hotel, looking for someplace to eat along the way. To no avail. We ended up back at some bistro on St. Germain eating pasta. Good but have I mentioned yet that the World Rugby Cup was taking place while we were in Paris? There was a contingent of Irish sitting at the bar and cheering on the UK while we tried to eat. Day three of this shit and I was getting pretty fuckin sick of the Irish and their big fuckin mouths.
Back at the hotel, changed, had a glass or two of wine and headed out to W's birthday party. That event is an entry all by itself. It involved lots of wine, cool people and a shitload of food.

Names...

1 comment:

Mike said...

Great pictures!

Ah, the odd pull of that other sport called football. Something I never quite understood when visiting my cousins is why the world would stop everytime there was a game on the telly.