Saturday, September 22, 2007

Paris


We have arrived in Paris. Actually, as I write this we are beginning day three. Getting here was a total pain in the ass. We took British Air and the flight to Heathrow sucked big time. First of all we were stuck in the center seats - never a good thing. Then a big muscled German guy sat in the seat in front of me and insisted on moving his seat back so far that he was practically in my lap. Throw in the screaming kids to our right and well, you get one of the suckiest flights I have been on. And the food was heinous. Never again will we fly BA. After our flight home that is.
But we arrived safe and sound. Get to our hotel and we can't get into our room until 2. It was 10:30. At this point I had been up the entire time. I cannot sleep on airplanes. So, we have to wander around town until our room is ready. I seriously started hallucinating I was so tired. We had coffee and lunch, walked around Bon Marche and killed some time in an Irish pub. We finally got into our room and crashed for a couple hours. Around 7 we roused ourselves and took a walk over the river looking for a place to get a drink. We ended up at the Hotel Normandy bar. We both ordered a cocktail and tried to relax. Not ten minutes later the local chanteuse began singing cabaret songs. I had my back to her and honestly couldn't tell if it was a man or a woman singing. She began with "Misty" and got the lyrics completely wrong. In her version it was not a kitten up a tree but a chicken. Something got lost in translation. She then began scatting and wringing her hands not in a jazz-like manner but more tourettes-esque. It was a wonder to behold. By the time she began channeling Carol Channing we decided it was time to go. I thought that C should get his picture taken with her but alas he didn't got for it. We wandered around a bit taking photos and ended up in the Latin Quarter right at dinner time. We picked some ubur trendy restaurant (unbeknownst to us) and I proceeded to have the rarest hamburger I have ever had in my life. Apparently this place is known for it's steak tartar. Everyone around us was eating it. We decided to call it a night. Had a glass of wine in the hotel bar and proceeded to crash. We both ended up sleeping for 12 hours. It was so nice.

No comments: