Friday, July 27, 2007

And another one bites the dust

I just got another rejection letter. It would have been distressing if I hadn't written the job off ages ago. Once again I shred the letter and throw it in the bin. I add it to the psychological resume heap that is my application process. I have resigned myself to my current position as an administrative assistant. That is what $140,000 of education gets me. I can decypher French postmodernist thought and analyse the fuck out of a film or piece of art. I have two essays being published this year, one by MIT Press, but the only fucking thing I am qualified to do is answer phones and arrange someone elses travel and calendar. Lucky me.
Bitter much? You bet your fuckin ass. There are many miles and years between my life as a restaurant person and as an admin but honestly I could have saved myself many thousands of dollars and years of intellectual labour by just diving into administrative work. Like everyone around me.

God damn it.

No comments: