Monday, August 06, 2007

Movie Madness

So C and I have been in a bit of a movie blitz.
We went to see Harry Potter and the Simpson's Movie. Then watched a couple of horror things On Demand - Silent Hill, Dawn of the Dead (remake), I still have to see Transformers before it leaves the big screen.
Harry Potter - just okay. the novel was pared down quite a bit, many characters removed yet it still felt like it was burdened by a cumbersome narrative. There were times when I thought I was watching a TV mini-series or perhaps Degrassi on the N. Action scenes were done fairly well. Ending felt rushed. Overall I'm glad I saw it but it was one of the more lackluster of the series. Alas. That said, Daniel Radcliffe was very yummy to watch (thankfully now past the age of consent).

Simpson's - Started off with a bang. Great series of jokes that was quickly derailed by a narrative built for a feature film. I wished that they had carried over the TV programs tradition of multiple narratives all unraveling at the same time. But no. All the great secondary characters were represented but relegated to either cameos or quick flashes as background filler. Still liked it though. Two words: Spider-pig!

Silent Hill - Fun, cheesy, gory horror film based on the video game. They managed to carry over the mood and tone of the game. Several scenes were taken directly from the game. Unfortunately the storyline devolved to a rather annoying hell/damnation scenario. I was disappointed.

Dawn of the Dead remake - made by Zack Snyder (300) who will now be helming the Watchman. This film is awesome. I love the fact that the zombies run not shamble.
Kick ass. Best scene: chainsaw accident in the van. This movie rules.

names...

1 comment:

TK8103 said...

I thought the gun store guy getting the shotgun blast to the head was the best scene. Slow-mo that and watch the top of his fall on his jaw. sweet!
I have yet to see 300, but I can not, can NOT, wait for Watchmen. They're talking about keeping the whole pirate story in!