Monday, November 14, 2005

NYC, Sloanies and Me

Friday. The day of the CMS\Sloan Media trip. I was up at 7 watching L do her stretches on the living room floor. She is a marathon runner and is now in physical therapy for her knees. Shocking right? She is also a lawyer. Harvard undergrad/Harvard Law; hardcore New England liberal. A sassy broad. She kicks ass. We didn't get to hang out till Saturday night.
I got dressed, wore the suit pants but not the jacket. Too damn cold on Friday. Jumped on the 1 and headed to Chelsea. We were meeting at 8:15 at a Starbucks south of Houston. met up with Ilya and the gang. Our first stop was Weinstein Co. Formerly known as Miramax. Till Disney bought it and wouldn't let them take it. There is a message there. Met with the SVP of Finance and the head of marketing. Bullshitted and watched some trailers. They were a little stressed. Their fist big release was Friday and it wasn't getting very good reviews. Derailed, heard of it? I had but hadn't read anything about it. Have no real desire to see it. My friend T zapped them good during the Q&A. They kept going on about independent cinema, blah, blah, blah and she asks them if they are so independent how come they're aren't any black people in their films. They were kinda stumped and gave really bad answers like "we really rely on the foreign market and black films don't make money internationally" shit like that. The look on their face...priceless. They brought up their recent purchase of a tranny film as an example of diversity which of course got me started. I said that I was very eager to hear their strategy for that film! Nothing! I think they were glad we left.
oh and one big thing: There were several mentions about being late and how if you were going to be then don't come at all just meet at the next company. We actually gave a $100 deposit in case one of us fucked up. It would literally cost us. We had a very big window this morning. Meet at 8:15 and head to the company at 9, as a group. This one ass-clown calls the team leader at 9 while we are signing into security. He says "I'm almost there!" She tells him not to come and to meet us later.
So we are all sitting around a conference table on the 18th floor of this building. At 9:35 this guys opens the door and comes and sits at the table! We were all kinda flabbergasted. I would have gone and gotten breakfast and met up at the next location. The leader was pissed! She didn't say anything there but I am sure he got an earful later and lost a hundred bucks to boot.
idiot.
I want to work for Weinstein. They make cool movies and everyone in the office was wearing jeans.
to be cont...

n.

2 comments:

Mike said...

I read this a while back but keep coming back to that last line.

Today, my first day back at work after a looooong weekend, I suddenly realized why.

I wear jeans to work almost every day, but my job sucks lately. I'd be happy to trade the jeans for a suit at a job with less stress and fewer stupid people.

That being said, my uberpreference would be jeans AND less stress and no stupid people.

Names said...

you are right. Jeans are not a sign of a great job. I couldn't wear them at Putnam and I liked my job!