Wednesday, November 30, 2005

whoops

okay, so I got distracted and never completed my NYC tale.
After Weinstein we went to New Line Cinema. I really liked this company. They seemed to know what they are doing. They made buttloads of money from the Lord of the Rings series but haven't grown at all. They keep themselves small. The marketing guy still only had two assistants! Unfortunately the bean-counter guy did all the talking and I started to snooz!
Atari was after a quick lunch at some little place in Mid-town. I have never seen a company that had almost no clue what they were doing. It is really a shame to have that corporate legacy and to sit on it. Idiots.
Finally there was The independent Film Channel. This was fun. The CEO was a hoot. However, I asked several questions about the role of film festivals in their programming decisions and they said "none at all." Bullshit. What am I? A rube?
That was the day in a nutshell. Afterwards Ilya dragged me to the Toys-R-Us in times square at 5:30 in the evening on a Friday! It was fucking crazy! Apparently the Harry Potter kids and Lindsey Lohan were appearing on TRL so Times Sq. was packed with pre-pubes! arg! I could have killed him. I have never hated more people on the planet! We escaped to some pub on 10th Ave and grabbed dinner.
From there I jumped in a cab and headed to Chelsea for Bill Viola's opening. Once again I seemed to gravitate to a building that is determined to hold every single person in the city at one moment! I met up with William, his sig other, and ME, my old boss. Chatted for a bit and then headed over the Eyebeam to see a Christian Marclay performance. Hung out. Ran into this really messy curator that I had met at a luncheon in Boston. He was hammered at 8 in the evening. Not that there is anything wrong with that...But he is a curator for a major art collection owned by some extremely wealthy people. Perhaps that is all he has to do? Travel and drink...Wish I could do that shit!
Saw a couple of faculty, avoided them. Watched the performance which was pretty interesting. Left after the first one and headed to our Sloan reception at the Chelsea hotel bar.
Spent way too much money, hung out with my friend Tracy, ended up at some gay bar.
cadged the express back uptown, grabbed a slice of pizza and went back to L's place.
and that was Friday.

more later...

2 comments:

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mike said...

Oh, I miss business trips to New York! (and I don't care if that makes me sound like a whining yuppie who hasn't been the same since the dotcom bust)