Thursday, December 01, 2005

NYC part whatever

Okay, Saturday in NYC. C is arriving at 11 or so I thought. I am up at 8 or so. L is up and doing her stretches in the living room and I lie on her couch, hung-over, chatting while she does. She heads off to run in the park. Side note: she partner runs with blind people through the park, how cool is that?
C calls and tells me that he missed his train due to the T and is now taking the Accela. He'll arrive at 11:40 instead of 10:40. Thank god he missed his train cause I would have been hella late!
I get up and shower. Head out stopping to have the hung-over special (McD's b-fast) and start walking towards midtown. I have several hours so I figure I will walk it. I do a quick breeze through Macy's Herald Sq. my first time. I fuckin hate it. Too many people, too many of them tourists and even more of them Brits who don't have a fuckin clue other than their dollar is stronger than ours, bitches!
I end up in a Starbucks a block over from Grand central. I have homework so I sit and read. I have an hour or so. There is a guy sitting a few seats away from me. I am at the window bar looking out on 7th ave. A woman stops and strips off her coat to reveal a novelty T-shirt and whips out a statue of liberty foam hat. She proceeds to have her picture taken with a NYC cop. several actually. I don't get it. I understand it but I don't get it.
A few moments go by. A older woman comes and sits next to me. The seat next to her is occupied by this guy who is chatting with random people. Momentarily left alone he turns and asks me what I am reading. I tell him. He wants to know why and so I tell him (I am reading an essay on the early history of television). He proceeds to tell us (the woman has now sat and joined the conversation) about his life as a new professor of history at Fordham on the upper west side. His specialty is the history of coffee. We all laugh at the irony. He then makes this weird tangential twist towards his own history as being from Texas and now residing in NYC, then leaves. The woman and I proceed to talk a bit about how odd he seems. She turns out to be an actor, at which point I am trying to identify her. She is wearing a baseball cap and pretty non-descript clothing. But then that means nothing. NYC is now a city of the rich and the famous. You tend not to notice them because everyone else is so loud and annoying. Just when the conversation gets interesting C calls and wants to know why I am not outside GCStation as he is waiting and looking for me. For once Amtrak is on time! I say my goodbyes and regrets. I don't get her name but she was pretty cool.
C and I head uptown to L's apartment
We drop off our stuff and proceed to walk over to the east side to have lunch. I have to be at the Guggenheim at 3. Wander a bit, complain about the fuckin bridge and tunnel people and end up having lunch at this non-descript diner on 80th and Lex. C heads off the the Met and I am off to the Gugg.
I meet my classmates and have our class with Jennifer Blessing, the curator. We hang out and watch the performance (which I will not go into here, I had to write a paper about it). I stayed a couple of hours and then went to meet C and L for dinner. It was a huge debate about where we were going to go. We ended up staying on the upper west and went to Citrus. It was great, weird combination of sushi and Mexican. From there we went to Bin71, a little wine bar and drank some more.
Ended up at L's watching the Simpsons. L is a huge fan, almost as huge as KG. It was fun.

We crashed at 2:30.

names...

No comments: