Sunday, September 24, 2006

The further adventures of action-temping-man!

The temping chronicles continues.
I have now moved from here:


to here.

I apologize for the shitty picture of the Hancock tower. I meant to bring my camera to work on Friday for the purpose of taking a picture for this post. But I forgot and so there you go.
I am now working for the Mercer Management Consulting company. I am temping in their recruiting division. I am entering thousands of applications into a database. 98% of these people will be rejected. Its kinda satisfying (in a sick way that makes me feel really good) to know that all of these kids with their Ivy league degrees will experience their first rejection and I will have had some small part in that. Its pretty amazing to read through their resumes and see these incredible experiences and know that most of them will not make it into the high-paying, high stress world of consulting. It actually makes me feel better about getting rejected from McKinsey. I quickly realised that I soooo don't want to go into consulting. Sure, the money is great but the soul crushing work pace and huge amounts of assholes you have to deal with kinda soured the deal for me.
One frustrating thing this week was that they started recruiting at MIT. They have NEVER recruited there. Now that my ass is sitting in a chair entering these fuckin resumes into the database they decide to open it up to MIT. I was sorely tempted to submit my resume and see what happens. The reason for this is that my supervisor has no idea of my background. The agency doesn't send my resume over for little jobs like this. So everyone around me thinks of me as just another idiot temp (an impressions I sometimes encourage because then people will leave me alone). I don't want to get sucked in though. I don't want to consult!! Never. ever.

On a good note I did get a callback on one of my resume drops. It is for a media and entertainment analyst at a company called the Yankee Group. I was to have an interview with the HR rep on Friday but she had to back out due to being double booked. Not a good sign. But then again HR usually doesn't attract the brightest bulbs. Who majors in HR management? People who found Communications Studies too hard that's who!
Anyway, the interview is now on Tuesday. I would be sooooo psyched to get this job. Hopefully I would be in the gaming and video division. But I would be happy with entertainment technology since that is what I analyse.

I am sitting here procrastinating once again over my writing. Sherry continues to harrass me about her essay. I got to get this shit done! but I am so over that fucking essay. Just publish it already! Leave me alone.
Weekend report:
C has been playing Lego Star Wars for-ever! I played Sim City yesterday for about 4 hours straight and ended up with total neck strain from hunching over my laptop.
Watched Fantastic Four last night. Not too bad. Acting was lame but couldn't tell if it was simply bad material or bad direction. The director clearly hasn't found out how to direct action sequences. What do you expect when you hire the director of Barbershop? Who was the fuckin wizard that hired him? Regardless Chris Evans' hotness and frequent shirtlessness more then made up for the films inadequacies. I could see why the film was so popular as well. It was simply cinema candy. It was like a bag of starburst. Full of flavour but ultimately empty. There were lots of "music video" aspects too it. It will be interesting to see if they rise above or tank with the sequel.

Okay...back to writing.

names out.

1 comment:

Mike said...

mmmmm....Chris Evans

Agreed on the whole HR thing, but be warned. With most cubicle rats, you can see the knife that they're about to plant firmly into your back. HR rats are issued invisible knives and tend to use them indiscriminantly.

Not that surviving in Corp. America has jaded me or anything.