Monday, September 25, 2006

What to read, what to read, darling?


I cannot help but follow in Mike's footsteps.
Thus I am tagged:
1. One book that changed your life: Chronicles of Narnia. Cheesy as it sounds, these books appeared in my life at just the right moment. I got them as a box set for my birthday in the midst of one of my families many movements around the globe and they became my travel companions across the oceans and continents. I remember that no matter where I was I always had Narnia. Seems cheesy now but as an eight year old dragged from airplane to island to airplane to some strange land they gave me continuity. And the Chonicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. A series about an orphan in search of his history and the meaning of his life. Crazy books that meant a lot to me.

2. One book that you've read more than once: Way too many to name. I am currently in my third read of Asimov's Foundation books. Plus the fifth or sixth time with Raymond Feist's Midkemia series. And I have read Ayn Rand's Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged too many times to count.


3. One book you'd want on a desert island: The Fountainhead. I'd be inspired to figure out a way to either make myself king of the island or escape it!

4. One book that made you laugh: Robert Aspirin's Myth books. These are the funniest fucking fantasy books ever written. Good Omens takes a second place.

5. One book that made you cry: We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will be Killed With Our Families: Stories from Rwanda by Philip Gourevitch A book that everyone must read. I made my high school students read it. tragic, true and unforgetable. A heart wrenching read.

6. One book that you wish had been written: The absolutely true story of human existance without christianity.

7. One book that you wish had never been written: I gotta agree with Mikey. All stories must be told, even the ones we disagree with.

8. One book you're currently reading: Four of them to varying degrees: Jared Diamond's Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed; David Leavitt's The Man Who Knew Too Much: Alan Turing and the Invention of the Computer; Horkheimer & Adorno's Dialectic of Enlightenment; Asimov's Foundation's Edge.

9. One book you've been meaning to read: I've had Gore Vidal's Myra Breckinridge sitting on my nightstand for some time now. Got to get to that one.

10. Now tag five people: Tagging is soooo tacky darling. Besides I don't think that that many people even read this thing.

names out...

1 comment:

TK8103 said...

ugh... I had been avoiding this meme since I'm too caught up in Lego Star Wars to blog.
Now I have no excuse.