Sunday, January 15, 2006

another paper due

It seems appropriate that I post something today as I have to finish a paper (well, start it and finish it really). Technically it is due Tuesday so I am only procrastinating a little bit
Got back last night from two days in NYC. I went down early thursday morning. Its pretty scary when catching a 6 am train is fairly easy. It must mean something, like perhaps I am crazy or not drinking enough? Schlepped out to Queens MoMA and spent the day in the library doing research. it went like this:
1. sign into a building resembling an old warehouse only painted bright blue.
2. put stuff into a locker.
3. grab a spot at a table crowded with pushy female academics who are taking up more than their share of space.
4. print out the books you want from a laptop.
5. Sit and wait for an hour and wonder why I haven't gotten any of the books I requested.
6. finally go and ask librarian why.
7. have him tell me that it was up to me to move my printouts from the printer to the basket where the attendants grab and go.
8.restrain myself as both printer and basket are within two feet of said librarian.
9 resort to sarcasm in a vain attempt to get this asshole to feel bad.
10. resume waiting for books.
11. after an hour and a half receive books and begin reading.
that was MoMA.
Trucked back to town and went to a few gallery openings in Chelsea. Had dinner with my thesis advisor. She had one too many martinis and proceeded to question me on my life plans. I have none. I was merely planning on another glass of wine!

Friday was another fun day. I saw my first shark-skin and ivory table. I got to use it as my desk while spending 6 hours watching early video art from the late 60s and early 70s. it felt really weird. I kept running my fingers across it. I have felt a dead shark before but this must have been some fancy pants shark because I haven't seen shark skin like this. It was dark grey and had rather irregular bumbs that had been leveled down to make patterns. very strange, very expensive and completely useless in my book but then I am not a gazillion-aire venture capitalist. I guess when you are rich you have to search to find shit to spend money on.

Back to my paper...perhaps after more coffee.

names...

No comments: