Monday, January 16, 2006

Brokeback tedium

oh stupid paper writing. I thought I had a handle on this paper when I left the library yesterday...now I have no fuckin clue what I am writing about. damn it.
We went and saw Brokeback Mountain last night. I feel like I should post some thoughts about it because I really didn't like it. I wanted to, believe me I did. However, I walked away having experienced a gay film made by straight people for straight people. the audience was full of those uber-liberal Cantabridgian couples. I'm sure feeling oh so hip and cool by seeing a "gay" film. People were crying and quiet and wistful at the end. there was lots of hugging in the theatre. C and I argued quite a bit afterwards. He liked it. I felt that it was trite and downright unbelievable. I didn't believe that they were in love with each other. I didn't see any character development. Even their "first time" having sex made no sense! I expected better of Ang Lee. on that note, it was beautifully shot.
I was very disappointed. But I am sure the straights love it!
I hope that its success doesn't subject us all to another round of heartfelt gay films where someone dies and the other lives on in a sex-less and isolated way that is meant to be interpreted as brave. blech!

names...

1 comment:

Mike said...

I just typed several paragraphs in your comment box before I started to feel a bit rude for taking up so much space on someone else's blog. C&Ped over to an entry of my own, but wanted to say thanks for the inspiration and ponder the etiquette of blog comments.