Friday, October 28, 2005

P.I.M.P.

okay, I let another month go by. It has been rather busy and stressful. One good thing. I am now the proud owner of a suit. the first I have owned since I was eighteen. And the first that cost more than a months rent. actually it was about three months. but I look damn sharp. and I will never, ever shop for another suit if I can help it. it has to have been one of the most excrutiatiing experiences of my life. It ranks up there with the GRE's. First stop was Brooks Brothers, where else does one go for suits? Sucked! the salesman was maybe 20, 24? completely unhelpful. assclowns! I wasn't about to give them my money.
On a whim we went into Ralph Lauren. I tried on one suit that was extremely sweet. the price was more than three times what I wanted to pay but I couldn't believe the way it fitted. it was fuckin amazing. that shit had my name on it. I put it on hold and said I would be back.
from there we went to Saks. I was waited on by an extremely messy woman. think older, overweight Jewish grandma with blue eyeshadow. I couldn't believe she was selling suits! who the fuck hired this woman? it was horrible! and the suit were so bad! I remember a year or so ago I would go into Saks and drool over the Prada suits. beautiful! Now it is fuggly Dolce and Gabbana suits made for raps stars or euro-trash. Closest I came was an Armani but it made me look like a pimp in a boxy kinda way. blech!
So, two days later I am back at RL meeting my salesman, James, and I buy a suit that cost more than all of my clothes combined! All in the name of corporate America. On Nov 11th my department and a bunch of Sloanies head to NYC and have out day long Media Corporation meet-a-thon. Over the course of the day we will be meeting with the recruiting for Sony, Bertlesmann, Viacom/MTV, Virgin, Atari, Nintendo etc. My suit will be put to work.
I went and picked up the suit today. I was talked into a tie to accent it. Not really talked into it because I know that once I put it on, I would buy it. The first tie I have ever bought and it cost me a hundred bucks. I'll be wearing this muther fucker to the grave.
In other news, I went down and visited Yale this week. It was open house for the Art History department. My meetings started at 9, thank you very much. I was up at 4:30 and on the train at 6. I get in at 8:45, grab a coffee and cab it over. I met with the interum grad director. one word: douchebag. it is nine in the morning and I have been up for 4 hours already (coffee on the train, reading, didn't sleep) and I have to deal with this guy who is actively trying to discourage me from applying. Dude! Fuck you!
At lunch with a grad student I learned that that is this guys modus operandi. he is basically there to weed out people. scare them away. I'm sorry but I was really insulted.
And then there is the campus of Yale. I took major photos which I will post when I can find the time.
It reminded me of Disneyland. It was fake and real at the same time. It was like a dream version of a college campus. Like what you would build if you have the money and the inclination. I think it was in comparison to MIT. MIT is completely utilitarian. there is no time for fancy, gothic architecture. The library (at Yale) looked right out of the fourteenth century, but clearly it couldn't be! it was so weird! no wonder people who go there are so fucking trapped in a WASP illusion. so, next day I am walking across my own campus and I see an woman with a hardcore, sixties flip that refuses to move in the gale force winds that go streaming across the quad followed by a bald man with a long ass beard riding a uni-cycle and chatting on his cell phone. I am a long fuckin way from New Haven and Yale. thats a good thing people. MIT may be full of socially awkward freaks but at least it isn't some weird, wanna-be American Oxford full of Abercrombie zombies that I want to destroy with a blow to the head.
long story short. I will apply and it will be an extremely long shot, seriously. I just don't think I am Yale material.
thank fuckin god for that!

ah, I got nothin else.

names out...

No comments: